With the advent of smart home devices, it is now easier than ever to control almost anything in a home with the simple click of a button or smart phone app.
Not only can smart gadgets make homes more convenient and efficient, they also have the potential to increase home values and help sellers make their home more attractive to buyers. Here are six – in no particular order of coolness – smart home devices that could increase home value and make your life as a homeowner better:
1. Canary All-In-One Home Security Device
Home security can be costly and complicated. You often need to connect multiple devices from various manufacturers to get a comprehensive system. For just under $250, you can purchase the Canary All-in-One Home Security Device to put your mind at ease. With this device you can all of the following from your smart phone:
- See and hear what’s going on in your house via Canary’s 1080p HD camera, 147 degree wide-angle lens, automatic night vision, and high-quality audio.
- Only record what you need with the motion-activated recording.
- Monitor air quality, temperature, and humidity.
- Receive instant video alerts on your iOS or Android device.
You get all of this without paying an installation fee or costly monthly fees. Just plug in the device, connect it to the internet and you are ready to start monitoring your home remotely!
2. Nest Learning Thermostat
Programmable thermostats have been around for a long while, but smart thermostats, like the Nest Learning Thermostat, offer the ability to change the temperature and control it from your phone when you are away. It even has the ability to track your temperature preferences and program itself within a week of installation! Here are some of the benefits of the Nest Learning Thermostat:
- Alerts homeowners when a set temperature threshold has been reached.
- Receive a notification that the temperature in your home is rapidly rising or falling alerting to a potential A/C or heat unit malfunction.
- Save up to 20% on your heating and cooling bill, because the thermostat programs itself to be most efficient.
3. Leeo Smart Alert Nightlight
Every home has smoke detectors and most have carbon monoxide detectors. In California, the Carbon Monoxide Poisoning Prevention Act (Senate Bill – SB 183) requires owners of all single-family homes with an attached garage or a fossil fuel source to install carbon monoxide detectors within the home by July 1, 2011.
Smoke and carbon monoxide detectors are great at notifying you when there are issues and you are within earshot. But, when you are on vacation or out running errands, they don’t provide you with any sort of alert in the event of a fire. All they can do is beep when nobody is there it listen.
The Leeo Smart Alert Nightlight is the only plug-in solution that connects you to your existing smoke and carbon monoxide alarms without a contract and no monthly fees. This device plugs into a standard outlet and provides 3 useful functions:
- Sends app notifications and calls your phone when smoke or carbon monoxide alarms sound.
- Monitors temperature and humidity in any room and sends custom climate alerts to your phone.
- Lights your way with adjustable brightness and 16 million (yes million!) color options.
4. August Smart Lock – Keyless Entry
Another smart home device gaining popularity is keyless door locks. These devices have the ability to remotely lock and unlock doors from a smart phone. The August Smart Lock a market leader that provides intelligent, secure access to your home.
Among the advantages of the August Smart Lock are:
- Never worry about lost keys again, because the encrypted technology uses your smartphone for access and four AA batteries power it even if the power, WiFi or cable go down.
- This smart lock senses your approach and automatically unlocks the door!
- It can also automatically lock your door when you leave!
5. RainMachine Smart WiFi Irrigation Controller
Water conservation is becoming a huge issue in many areas of the world. In California, we are experiencing an extreme drought that makes maintaining lawns and gardens very costly. Firstly, you should replace grass with decomposed granite wherever you can to limit what needs irrigation. For the remaining landscaping that needs water, use the RainMachine Smart WiFi Irrigation Controller to control your water consumption. This device will:
- Automatically adjust your watering amount by lowering it on rainy days or colder days and increasing it on hot summer days.
- Protect your plants by using the versatility of each program: select individual weekdays, Even/Odd day mode, Cycle and Soak, or Station Delay. Run the programs one-at-a-time, sequentially or even in parallel!
- Obtain the best weather data available on earth via your WiFi network. The RainMachine sprinkler timer downloads precise weather data, accommodating to specific micro-climates from NOAA.
6. Wally Water Leak Detection System
Standing water and moisture intrusion can wreak havoc on your home. Mold has the potential to develop if the issue isn’t addresses quickly. The problem is that it can be very difficult to detect water leaks before it’s too late. Enter the Wally Water Leak Detection System. This simply intuitive system alerts you as soon as moisture develops near one of its sensors. The name “Wally” comes from the fact that this system used walls, and the existing wiring of your home, to create a sensor network.
Sync the hub to the internet, set up the app and then place sensors near any potential problem areas like under a sink or near your refrigerator. When the system detects a change in moisture, you will be notified on your smart phone. Some of the unique features of this smart home device includes:
- The wireless sensors monitor your home day and night ensuring against undetected leaks or mold issues.
- The system’s innovative networking system doesn’t use energy hungry Bluetooth or WiFi, so sensors last over 10 years without battery changes.
- Wally works with the Nest Learning Thermostat allowing the smart thermostat to detect temperatures in multiple locations in your home.
What’s your favorite smart home device?
Let me know in the comments below!